Sunday, June 30, 2013

Back to School Mentor Text and Instagram!

I'm linking up with the Collaboration Cuties for their Back to School Mentor Text linky! I have to say that great minds think alike because before I posted this I had several books in mind and most of them were already taken by other bloggers! BUT, one of my new favorites from last year hadn't been snatched up yet! 

It's Cloudette by Tom Lichtenheld. It's basically the story of a little cloud who wants to do great big things like all the other big clouds. She gets a little discouraged by her small size, but perseveres until she realizes that maybe she can't make rivers rush, etc. but she CAN make important small differences. 

I teach in a fully inclusive class(almost no pull out services for even my students with high needs), and I really liked the message that some clouds are big, some clouds are small, but they can all make a difference if they try. I use this book (among others) that first week when we're doing goal setting for the year. Sometimes the old "You can be president if you want!" type books get a little tired (don't worry I read those to the kids too though!), and I like that this one is a little more real. Some of my kids need to learn how to read before we worry about the presidency, you know? Let's make it rain on the little frog's pond before we worry about making a rushing waterfall. 

And besides all that the book is just ridiculously cute.

Check out the other great books in the linky! And if you're not already (and most of you aren't!) I'll be your BFF if you follow me on instagram! (My little button is up there in the top right corner!) If you do you'll be privy to all kinds of fun pictures, like this one right here:


This is a card I got at the end of the year. Yes, that child said they would tip me if they could...sigh. PS - my name is pronounced like "writes" but this kid apparently always wanted to pronounce it "Ritz." Weird. 

7 comments:

  1. This looks like such a great story! I must pick up a copy. I love his Everything I Know About Monsters and... Thanks so much for sharing!

    Have a great week--
    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love learning about new books I can incorporate. I have never seen this book, I will have to look for it when I get back to school. Hope you are enjoying your holidays Nick. Good luck reaching your TpT goal!
    Sidney
    Teachingisagift

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds so adorable, and I could see it fitting right in with my class environment building, too! Thanks for sharing!
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey
    Follow me on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This Cloudette looks adorable! I'm pinning and adding to my list!
    **I love your new blog design!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute letter and a cute book suggestion. :) Love that he wanted to call you "Ritz."
    ~Brandee
    Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute! I've never seen this book but it looks adorable and we teach about clouds in science so that can be my tiny tie in too! I will definitely have to check this out!

    Thanks for linking up!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Nick--Thanks for stopping by to read my Currently. I thought I recognized your blog from my Neighborhood Blog Party. The Mentor Text linky is really great! I learn about a lot of neat books there, including Cloudette. Thanks!

    Kristen
    Aspire to Inspire

    ReplyDelete

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips