Sunday, May 5, 2013

May Currently and Tweet Board pic!

I'm linking up to Oh' Boy 4th Grade's Currently Linky! Click the image to visit her blog!


Listening - I've been working my way through the entire series of Scrubs seasons on Netflix. I usually put it on in the background while I'm working on my computer. I never watched it on TV, but it's a pretty funny show. I switch it up with Eureka now and then too.

Loving - In my school we group the kids for math, and on my team I teach the students who typically work at a slower pace and struggle with math. I love helping these kids, but sometimes their level of participation is a bit low, and admittedly it can be draining sometimes. We have decided to switch back to teaching our homeroom kids for the last 6 weeks of school though, and this past week I was able to do my math workshop with my homeroom kids for the first time. They LOVED it, and the mix of kids was really nice. I'm able to differentiate with the groups, so it still works for the different levels. Math just seems to fly by now for both me and the kids.

Thinking - I've got a decent list going for fun, quick and cheap ideas to do with the kids but am still looking for more!

Wanting - I feel like the household chores are really piling up and not all getting done! Now that the grass is growing, we've planted our garden and it's nice enough to go outside, it seems like there are more chores than usual and less time to get them all done!

Needing - I've been working on a Human Body lap book for my upcoming science unit that is almost done, and I've been writing a novel unit for a fun book called Fake Mustache by Tom Angelberger that is nearly complete!

Summer Bucket List - I've got a big list of things to do this summer, but one of the biggest is our upcoming trip to Savannah, GA and Tybee Island, GA. It's our favorite vacation spot, and I'm looking forward to some stress free relaxation!

I had a request to share the Tweet Something Sweet board in my room. I heard about this idea from a teacher in my school, and thought it was perfect for this blackboard in the back of my room that I never use. The kids can take one of the bird cut-outs and write a "tweet" on it whenever they'd like to compliment a classmate. We wipe the board clean every once in a while and the kids get to take their tweets home. Here's what it looks like:



The birds add a bit of color to what would otherwise be a big unused black rectangle on the wall. It's so great to see the kids light up when they notice a new tweet under their name!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Nick! You just linked up next to me in Farley's Currenly! :) I LOVE your Tweet board! Wish I had some extra wall space for something like that! I'm going to have to get creative...

    Enjoy your day!
    ~Erin
    Mrs. Beattie's Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the "tweet board" sooooo cute!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea - the Tweet Board! I might have to do something like that for my 2nd graders next year :) Also love your button (I am a huge fan of the Phantom Tollbooth!).

    A great idea I did with my kids last year that certainly translates to 5th grade is the "Minute to Win It" from Tunstall's Teaching Bits. I think you can google and find it, or look for it as a freebie on Teachers Pay Teachers! It was such a fun thing to do last year with my kids - this year I'm planning on having a video cam at the ready! :)

    Found you thru Farley's Currently. Feel free to visit my blog as well!

    www.adventuresn2grade.blogspot.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found my way here through Currently... We went to Savannah last summer and it was WONDERFUL!!! Let me know if you would like to know some places to eat. We absolutely loved hanging around River Street. We took a stroll through some of the squares & it was so peaceful and full of history around every corner! I am moving from K to 5th next year, so I better join your blog NOW! LOL! My kinder kiddos enjoyed Number Talks this year (first time implementing) and they have showed a greater interest in Math and have great number sense!! :)

    ~ Kimberlee ~
    iTeach 5th

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found you through Farley's Currently! I love your tweeting idea. What a cute idea. I'm also your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips